Brown Palace Hotel (1892)
Created by denverstorytrek
The Brown Palace is Denver’s second oldest hotel. Designed in an Italian Renaissance style by architect Frank Edbrooke, it is triangular in shape to utilize all the available space on its lot. Owner Henry Brown spent $1.6 million to construct the building. Co-owners William Bush and Nathaniel Maxcy Tabor (son of Denver notable Horace Tabor) put in another $400,000 to the interior decorations. At 10 stories high, it was one of Denver’s earliest skyscrapers. Artist James Whitehouse designed the 26 stone medallions that decorate the exterior, each depicted a native Colorado animal. The 700 foot well dug specifically for the hotel is still in use today.
In 1920, Charles Boettcher moved into the hotel, before becoming a joint owner two years later. After the stock market crash of 1929, Boettcher became the sole owner of the hotel, which remained his residence until his death in 1948. The Boettcher Foundation owned the Brown Palace until 1980, when it was sold.
The Brown Palace Hotel has played an important role in Denver’s social and cultural life since its construction. Many US presidents, foreign dignitaries, and celebrities have stayed at the hotel. Dwight D Eisenhower ran his 1952 presidential campaign from the Brown Palace, earning it the nickname “The Summer White House”.