Boston Building (1890)
Created by denverstorytrek
The Boston Building is one of Denver’s only surviving 19th century office buildings. Described as “Denver’s first strictly modern office building” this Romanesque building was designed by Boston architectural firm Andrews, Jacques, and Rantoul (who also designed the nearby Equitable Building). Denver historian Jerome Smiley called it one of “the finest and costliest” buildings in Denver. Due to weathering effects on the soft sandstone, some of the external ornamentation has been lost. The building’s original cornice, as well as a decorative string course at the sixth story level, have both been removed. Additionally, the lower levels, which once sported rusticated stone, have been smoothed to match the appearance of the upper levels.
It housed the offices of many prominent Colorado businesses, including the Postal Telegraph and Cable Company and the Colorado Midland Railroad Company. The construction of the Boston and Equitable Buildings along 17th Street drew the Central Business District southeast of Larimer Street around the turn of the 20th century. 17th Street became known as the “Wall Street of the West” for the many banks and financial agencies that lined either side of the street. In 1920, the Boston Building was purchased by Charles Boettcher and Frederick Bonfils. Between 1924 and 1985, Boettcher and Company maintained offices in the building, where they grew as a stock exchange company, becoming the first Colorado company to gain membership to the New York Stock Exchange in 1944.