C.S. Morey Mercantile Building
Created by denverstorytrek
Chester Stephen Morey arrived in Colorado in the spring of 1872 to recover from presumably, tuberculosis. During his recovery, he started a cattle business in southern Colorado. By 1875, Morey had fully recovered and was venturing into new enterprises. Morey established the sales headquarters of a Chicago-based wholesale grocery business, the Sprague, Warner and Company, in Denver. Morey was instrumental in developing the trade west of the Missouri River for the company. Morey’s successes allowed him to accumulate wealth and enter a partnership with Sprague, Warner and Company in 1881. After having the Denver branch run under the direction and management of Morey, by 1884, the business was incorporated into the C.S. Morey Mercantile Company. Through Morey, the venture emerged to become one of the largest mercantile establishments in the West.
The building that would house the successful business of Morey was deemed the most elegant “business house” in the West. Businessmen wanted aesthetically pleasing structures, because they often combined storage, production with showrooms and corporate offices. The Morey building was a prime example of this trend on “Warehouse Row”, or Wynkoop Street. After selling the Morey Company in 1956, the building now houses several businesses, including the second retail location for the Tattered Cover Book Store.
To listen by phone, dial the Trek Connect phone number 303.562.2407. Enter the corresponding story number followed by the # sign.
Story Site #311 C.S. Morey Mercantile Building